Betty Pumani & Robert Fielding at A.P. Bond Contemporary & Aboriginal Art Gallery


Art Work by Betty Pumani



Saturday 20 August

Today I went and saw another SALA exhibition at
A.P. Bond Contemporary & Aboriginal Art Gallery showing works by Betty Pumani & Robert Fielding. Both of the artists paint at the same remote South Australia community art centre (Mimili Maku Arts) at Mimili. Mimili is situated in the APY lands in the far north of South Australia.

Both
Pumani and Fielding have their own distinct styles of painting, yet when on display together there is a vast contrast between the two.


Pumani tells her stories with vibrant reds, purples, oranges and yellows and also in muted tones. For me looking at her pieces they are almost like a blanket or pieces of different fabric sewn together. Her pieces are highly detailed, however her paintings didn’t capture me the same way as Fielding.

The moment I saw Robert Fielding’s work I was struck with curiosity as I had never seen this interpretation of Aboriginal art before. A couple of his pieces had an amazing contemporary feel too them with big circles and use of purples and oranges. Crosses freatured on his work as well in brown and blues. I was curious as to what he was painting about.


Fielding also had two large dot paintings amongst this collection which almost had a mist like quality to them. This suttle colour haze gently told his story.


My second gallery for the day, it has definitely been an interesting experience!