'The Other, Other' - Jason Wing


Sunday 16 October 2011


I went and saw the exhibition “The Other, Other” by Jason Wing today and I came away with a smile on my face as I was able to really understand and enjoy what Wing was trying to perceive in his work.

He explores issues of race, addiction and culture by using a variety of mediums including photography, sculpture and installation.


Wing had three beds set up each made of something different; beer bottles, syringes, and spray cans. This piece titled “Blacktown Dreaming 1, 2 & 3” depicts the issues young Aboriginal people face and are stereotyped with.



picture from: http://www.jasonwing.net/


Another piece titled “Elders” made from ochre and oxide depicts the Elders Real Estate logo in which Wing has created on the wall and on the floor is ochre residue which looks like it has come from the “Elders” sign, almost like how chalk falls at the base of a chalk board when you write.
Some of the things that went through my mind when viewing this piece was in regards to buying and selling of Aboriginal land, the way in which the ochre was used to create the signage almost signifying that the land will always be Indigenous land.


I also really liked the way that Wing made the long pile of ochre on the floor of the piece, if you weren’t looking for it you would probably miss it, but I liked how it also added extra meaning.