Spirit of Country: Land and Life

Saturday 27 August 2011


Flyer from the Exhibition

Venturing up to Seymour College on a nice Saturday afternoon I was excited about visiting this exhibition as part of the SALA Festival. The artwork on the promotional material I had seen in the papers was so vibrant and just exquisite.


As I entered the Performing Arts Centre at Seymour I noticed that it was like a series of rooms in which the art was hanging. I walked around each section and was impressed by many pieces of art on display.

I eventually realised that each room or section of this exhibition was showcasing work from a particular community and region. The following are the Art Centres that were represented:

Ernabella Arts

Iwantja Arts and Crafts Centre

Kadjina Arts

Keringke Arts

Mangkaja Arts

Marshall Arts

Mimi Arts and Culture Centre

Mimili Maku Arts

Tapatjatjaka Art and Craft Centre

Tjanpi Desert Weavers

Tjungu Palya

Waringarri Aboriginal Arts

Warlukurlangu Artist’s Aboriginal Association

Warnayaka Art and Cultural Aboriginal Corporation

I really liked how this exhibition was set out as it gave the viewer a clear picture of what each Art Centre produced, it made viewing the artwork so much more enjoyable as I could see what was being produced out of each region.

It was also my first experience of seeing the Certificate of Authenticity next to each artwork. It was quite interesting to read and have a look at some of them. I think it is such a good idea to have these when purchasing an Indigenous Artwork, not only for the Artist themselves but also for the buyer to understand a little bit about the origin of the work.