Lin Onus

Ginger and my third wife approach the roundabout - 1994
Synthetic polymer paint on Belgian Linen

I was drawn to this painting by Lin Onus in the 'Spirit in the Land' exhibition. I really like the common setting that you assume the sting-rays are swimming in. This contrasts with the highly detailed Rark used on the sting-rays.

For me I was thinking that Onus was tying to convey different messages through this piece of contemporary art. I took that the round-a-bout sign and telephone lying at the bottom of the ocean a sign that these man made objects brought into this country by 'white' people will not outlast the connection and special bond Indigenous people have.

Another idea I through of when I was standing in front of this piece is that Onus was trying to convey that Indigenous people will still stay strong and together even thought its like no one is listening to the issues that Indigenous people have. It must feel like they are going around and around in circles.

This art work I think could have many different underlying issues, however I am just fascinated by the use of the Rark.