Rover Thomas

Rover Thomas (Joolama)


Gulu Gulu (manking) - 1989

Earth pigments and natural binders on canvas


The first thing I noticed when I walked into the exhibition space was this distinct painting by Rover Thomas. What I was most intrigued about was that when you looked up close you can actually see the pigments and the earth in which the paint is created from. This is typical of Warmun of the Kimberly Region.

He depicts his country through outlined landforms of mountains, roads, billabongs. I really like how Thomas' painting have a map like quality to them, however it is only a map which he and others who know about their country can recognise.

I find Rover Thomas' art is very abstract in the way in which big blocks of colour are used to represent his country, even through the pallet is restricted to the natural pigments of the region.